We're open 24/7 and ready to help you during COVID-19 with Sanitization Solutions.

Call Today! (504) 457-7929
Call Today! (504) 457-7929
Call Today! (504) 457-7929
Call Today! (504) 457-7929

New Orleans Logo

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Build-Up in Homes?

Published by Allegra on November 19, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas produced mainly due to911 armando-ascorve-morales New-Orleansthe incomplete combustion of any fuel such as kerosene, gasoline, natural gas, oil, and even firewood. Even though it is odorless, it is the leading cause of poisoning deaths in the United States. It is fatal and can kill within minutes or hours of exposure.

If there is a certain problem in your stove or fireplace, call a restoration company, like 911Restoration, to trace any signs of carbon monoxide in your home and fix the problem causing its release.

Symptoms of Exposure to Carbon Monoxide

Some of the symptoms of low-concentration carbon monoxide leak in your home are very similar to flu, such as mild headache, nausea, shortness of breath. If the concentration of monoxide is moderate, then the symptoms usually range from headaches to nausea.

At high concentrations, the symptoms are unconsciousness and death. This gas is dangerous because it is odorless and cannot be detected easily by homeowners. A professional device such as carbon monoxide detectors (similar to smoke detectors) is the best way to detect the production of this gas in your home.

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Exposure to carbon monoxide even at low levels is not healthy and can lead to serious health risks. Therefore, to prevent any incidents or accidents involving carbon monoxide poisoning, it is essential to take a few steps and follow tips to keep your family and home safe from carbon monoxide.

1.     Know The Risks of Carbon Monoxide

It is crucial to know how carbon monoxide gas is produced to take further steps. Anything in your house that burns fuel, such as a fireplace, furnace, gas appliance, car, or generator, can produce the toxic by-product, carbon monoxide.

Due to the lack of maintenance of these devices, this odorless gas can easily be formed and spread all across your homes. If it’s in high concentration, it can cause unconsciousness and death within minutes.

2.     Keep Your Vents Clear

Vents are used to keep all the harmful gases out and ventilate your house with fresh air. However, during a storm, the outside stack or your dryer vent can be obstructed by a tree or by snow if it’s a snowstorm.

Especially during a snowstorm, make sure the snow has not covered the openings of the furnace or fireplace and that critical exits of all dangerous gases produced due to burning.

3.     Do Not Run Engines in A Closed Area

Ventilating your house regularly is so important to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. That is why it is essential to know that if you’re planning to use an appliance that could release carbon monoxide. Open doors and windows to ensure the area is well ventilated.

Other things to keep in mind are to never start a car or light up a grill in an enclosed area like your house’s basement or the garage. The best place to fire up a grill would be outdoors, even if you leave the garage door open. At times, carbon monoxide can still build up to toxic levels.

4.     Schedule Regular Maintenance

To ensure your fuel-burning devices are appropriately installed, call an expert to help you with it. They would install it and help you set up a vent for each device so that gases don’t build up. 

 Also, have a professional check and inspect all these devices every year to make sure they operate properly.

5.     Keep Fireplaces Clean and Well Vented

If you have a wood-burning fireplace, the chances of carbon monoxide production are high. Make sure you clean the fireplace and that the flue is working properly. If you don’t maintain it, all the by-products produced during burning will fill up the home.

6.     Install CO Alarms

These devices are to detect the presence of carbon monoxide in homes. They are important, especially if you have fuel-burning appliances in your home, such as a wood fireplace. Make sure you install them in all the levels of your homes, so they work effectively and quickly.

Quick action and evacuation is the best way to protect your family from exposure to this poisonous gas. If you hear the alarm, it is best to move to fresh air and call 911.

7.     Maintain Your CO Alarms

Carbon monoxide alarms need to be maintained regularly. Invest in those that work on batteries rather than on electricity; they would be handier if the power goes out. According to the instruction manual, keep an extra pair of batteries around to ensure uninterrupted operation and change batteries regularly.

When to Call 911Restoration?

The emission of carbon monoxide can be hazardous for your property and your family. That is why the quickest action you take, the better. This gas is not only fatal but extremely hard to detect. Make sure you call a restoration company in New Orleans, like 911Restoration, to inspect your house if you notice any health symptoms or if any of the fuel-burning appliances are not working properly. Contact us now at (504) 457-7929!

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (504) 457-7929
4150 Poche Court West, New Orleans, LA 70129
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply